The construction of the Protestant Church began 1897, two years later consecrated. Neo-Gothic church built of red brick on a socle of Quarry stone, facade dominated by a portal and rose window (or Catharine window). Inside the Hall church three bays divided by columns, architectural elements in lush shape elements. The building was designed by August Heinz from Boppard for family von Osterroth. In a small Protestant community such as Oberwesel was the construction of a church only due to the financial support of family von Osterroth. Empress Auguste Viktoria donated a altar bible for the inauguration. Arthur von Osterroth was awarded the order of the Red Eagle for his services to the Church which, until 1942, remained in their possession, that year the land on which the church was built was transferred to the Evangelical parish of St. Goar, 1957 a lean-to was built to serve as youth centre, 1974 thorough Interior-restoration (Diernhöfer), 1997 added to the list of protected monuments. The Church today serves as meeting place for 680 Christians. Behind the church the Stations of the cross starts, a steep path leading uphill to the chapels and Golgotha. 1728 Was a procession held on the Hardt where presumably a Wayside shrine was located. 1827 First Chapel, which quickly delipatated. In 1835 it was Bishop Hommer’s wish to restore the Kalvarienberg chapel and the creation of stations of the cross, 1845 newly built Chapel. 1850 The olivemountain Chapel and the Tomb chapel (Lamentation of Christ) were built, as well as the stations of the cross which were completed in 1857. Since then inhabitants of Oberwesel and surrounding villages walk along the stations of the cross on the Calvary during Lent, but also on the Sunday past the Feast of the Cross. The stations of the cross was restored in 2009.
Copyright © 2021 All Rights Reserved 版权所有 乐道旅途网