The "Deutsche Haus" (German House) was built 1566 along the Rhine by Hayman Spey, at that time Schultheiss (shire reeve) in Rhens. A corner pole bears the construction year, initials and House mark (a mark of property, later also used as a family emblem) of the owner. Home marks were widespread 16th and 17th century: it served as house number, as seal or signature when the inhabitant did not master reading or writing. Shire reeve Spey of course could read and write, like many of his colleagues he enjoyed a legal education. A shire reeve (magistrate) was judge and even tax official, Stadtholder (kind of Lord Lieutenant) of the city entrusted to him by the Landlords, which can be noticed at the Deutschen Haus: it is located right next to the port of the Wackelburg, the Herrenhof (manor) and former Rhenser stronghold. The term "Deutsches Haus" originates from the period when the building also served as "Gasthaus", which was 17th century the case, thus the oldest Rhenser Inn. After Hayman Spey, lived here Paul Peter Spey and his son-in-law Nikolaus Weiseler, who was 1647-1650 shire reeve of the Hessian Occupying Power.
Copyright © 2021 All Rights Reserved 版权所有 乐道旅途网